Following an extraordinary year, Lancaster Arts is creating a new artist commission to explore what belonging means to us in 2021.
On Belonging is a new commission for artists of colour who live and work in the North of England. We recognise that grouping people together by nationality and ethnicity in this way is inherently problematic and that language evolves. In this context by ‘artists of colour’ we mean people of African, Asian, Middle Eastern, Caribbean, Indigenous and ethnically diverse heritages.
Download the full call-out and brief here
Apply using this application form, alternatively send a video application by email or WeTransfer to email@example.com. Find full details and parameters in the call-out and brief.
We are excited to receive proposals to make new work that responds to one or some of the following prompts:
- What does it mean to belong?
- What is needed to belong?
- What makes us feel connected to a place or each other?
- Is belonging what makes society possible?
- How have identity and belonging been affected by the life-changing events of the last year?
- Call out: 26 January 2021
- Application Deadline: Midnight 28 February 2021
- Shortlist and Selection: Week commencing 8 March 2021
- Development period: March – August 2021
- Project or presentation takes place: September – November 2021
- Evaluation: December 2021
Please find full details in the brief
- £3,500 to cover artist fees, materials, travel and accommodation
- Lancaster Arts Producers will support this commission with documentation, marketing and evaluation.
Who can apply?
We seek applications from artists or collectives of colour who are:
- Based in the North of England (Northumberland, Tyne & Wear, Tees Valley, Cumbria, Durham, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Cheshire).
- Seeking to try something new/take a new direction with their work through this commission.
- Mid-career artists: you must be able to evidence a significant and sustained professional body of work; a record of exhibitions, commissions, projects or self-directed creative work.
- Artists who are interested in building a relationship with the people in Lancaster District (Lancaster, Morecambe and surrounding rural area).
Thank you and we look forward to reading your proposals.
Image: Cloth exercise from ‘On Belonging Gathering’ 2019.