Diverse Actions Commission 2018
Women & The Future: A Diverse Actions Commission
Deadline 12noon Wednesday 18th April
Working together with Live Art UK (the national network of Live Art promoters), Lancaster Arts is now offering a Diverse Actions commission for a new piece to premiere as part of its autumn 2018 Season.
Who can apply?
For this opportunity, we welcome applications by women from a BAME background who are:
- based in the North of England (Northumberland, Tyne & Wear, Cumbria, Durham, North Yorkshire, East Riding of Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Cheshire)
- have a minimum of 5 years of professional experience as an artist (working within any art form, so long as your proposal is for a piece of Live Art)
We recognise and acknowledge the fluidity of the aforementioned terms and encourage applicants to self-define. If you have any questions about our commitment to the Creative Case for Diversity, please get in touch.
What is on offer?
- A commission/artist's fee of £3,000
- A materials budget of up to £500
- A marketing and evaluation budget of up to £500
- Access to rehearsal space and research facilities at Lancaster Arts (subject to availability)
- Technical support (a detailed breakdown of available support will be created to suit the selected project)
- Travel and accommodation costs (a detailed breakdown will be agreed at the start of the project)
- Marketing, communications and evaluation support
- Dramaturgical and producer support
- A long term and in depth relationship with Lancaster Arts (see further details in How We Work)
- The opportunity to premiere the piece as part of Lancaster Arts Autumn 2018 season
About Lancaster Arts
Lancaster Arts is a combined arts offer (we work across theatre, live art, performance, dance, circus, music and visual arts) situated within Lancaster University. We have a long established reputation for the creation, development and presentation of cutting edge contemporary arts practice. Lancaster Arts takes a thematic approach to programming, and for autumn 2018, our emergent focus is on Women & the Future. Led by ideas and driven by values Lancaster Arts is where ideas, creativity and people connect.
How we work
You will be supported in developing this piece by our in-house Creative Producing team. This commission will be what we hope to be the beginning of a long and mutually beneficial relationship, and we will work with you to fully embed your practice within the broader picture of our activities. We hope that the selected applicant(s) will be able to engage with us across our whole season and willing to engage with the other artists we will be working with at the time.
With this in mind, this is what you can expect from our team:
- A warm welcome: shortly after your proposal being selected, we will arrange a one day ‘site visit’ with you, this will be an opportunity to meet the team and get your bearings on the arts centre and the university’s campus.
- Fundraising and developmental support: Our team will work with you to identify your needs and how to fulfil them. We will think with you about the appropriate future and legacy of the piece.
- A porous and reciprocal approach: we will work with you to ensure your ideas are nourished by the rich variety of individuals, groups and environments we work with, encouraging dialogue and exchange all the way through your process.
- A long view: we will make sure we keep in touch with you throughout the development of your piece, and, where appropriate, invite you to take part in future creative gatherings enabling a strong legacy for your project and ensuring the ongoing dissemination of your ideas.
- A transparent and responsive approach: at the beginning of our working relationship, we will establish key milestones and jointly design a support agreement. This will enable us to establish a clear and effective way of working while remaining prepared for the unexpected.
About Diverse Actions
Diverse Actions is a Live Art UK initiative which champions culturally diverse (BAME: Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) ambition, excellence and talent in Live Art and contemporary performance. Diverse Actions builds on Live Art’s vital role as a practice of artistic innovation and a space to express complex ideas of cultural identity.
Deadline: 12noon Wednesday 18th April (we will not be able to accept late applications under any circumstances)
Shortlisting and selection: w/c 23rd April
Initial visit: May 2018
Residency opportunity: August 2018
Creative Gathering 1*: September 2018
Premiere: November 2018
Evaluation meeting/Creative Gathering 2*: May 2019
*The details of those events are to be agreed, and additional fees for participating artists will be made available where these fall outside of a planned residency.
How to apply
To apply, please email a one page PDF document (or 5mn video link) with the following:
- Your full name (or in the case of a company, the name of the lead contact), email address and phone number, as well as details of where you are based
- A short biography/artists statement, particularly outlining your work history and approach to date
- A clear and concise summary of the idea you would like to develop
- A brief statement about what this particular opportunity appeals to you
In addition, you may provide us with up to three attachments or links as examples of your work. Videos may be up to 5mns, and links to one page only. (i.e. 3 pages of one website would count as 3 attachments)
Please email the above to email@example.com by no later than 12noon 18/04/2018
For an informal conversation about this opportunity, or if you have any questions please contact Associate Producer Leo Burtin on firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office on 01524 594165