Interactions is an artist development programme exploring socially engaged performance practice, opening up its diverse practices and delving into the thinking behind the work.
In an arts context, socially-engaged practice, can be understood loosely to fit into one or more of these descriptions:
- Engages audiences beyond the arts institution (theatres/galleries) in social spaces or contexts
- Takes the social as its subject or modus operandi
- Asks what society or ‘the social’ may mean
- Forges alliances directly with communities defined by place or by interest / experience / knowledge
- Directly engages with non-artists to produce art-works
For more information on socially engaged performance practice go to the Interactions Blog
- Interactions blog
An artist-led platform for discussion, reportage and debate about socially-engaged performance practice www.interactionsperformance.wordpress.com
- Interactions Mini-Symposium #1—The Bluecoat, Liverpool Fri 19.9.14 4.30—6.30pm
- Interactions Mini-Symposium #2—Yorkshire Dance, Leeds Weds 8.10.14 6.30—8.30pm
Stimulating presentations from experienced artists Gillian Dyson, Gisele Bone, Dani Abulhawa and Tim Jeeves, as part of a friendly, thought provoking and active participatory discussion-workshop facilitated by Sarah Spanton.
Interactions hopes that by sharing and learning together, opening up dialogue and unpacking thinking around socially-engaged performance practice, we will begin to form a community of artists developing this field across Yorkshire and the North West.
The Bluecoat (Liverpool) Fri 19.9.14 £4.50 (concessions)/£6.50
Book Online or on the phone: 0151 702 5324
Yorkshire Dance (Leeds) Weds 1.10.14 £4.50 (concessions)/£6.50
Book Online or on the phone: 0113 243 9867
Follow @interactionsperformance on Twitter
Live At LICA is proud to be an Interactions partner alongside Yorkshire Dance (Leeds), Theatre in the Mill (Bradford), the Bluecoat (Liverpool), Point Blank (Sheffield), Hope Street (Liverpool), and Håb (Manchester).
Interactions will be taking part in Hazard (Manchester) on 12th July 2014 alongside Live At LICA Creative Producer Leo Burtin. For more information about Live At LICA's involvement in Interactions, please get in touch.
Image © Dani Abulhawa